First of all, Happy New Year, welcome to 2007!

Generally we all set some sort of resolutions for the New Year, which often seem to be forgotten rather quickly. One resolution that always seems to come up is to lose weight or to get in shape. I’m assuming that since you are here, on a golf site, you probably play golf. So how can we keep that New Years resolution going during the spring, summer and fall? Walk while you play golf!

I found this nifty site powered by google maps that calculate calories burned during a specific walk. So I made my specific walk a round at my regular golf course, Warrenbrook.

Warrenbrook Golf Course – 4.18 miles

You can do this with any course that shows up on google maps. Just jump to the location (I just did Warren, NJ, then searched for the course using the Satellite map). Click start recording, then just double click on the map at the first tee. Then just keep double clicking along the route you walk to play. I took pretty much a straight path, but you could always zig zag it around some, if you think you walk more :)

When you are done, you can click save this route, over on the left, and it will store the route, and give you a URL. Feel free to post it up as a comment here, and share your walk with us!

Be sure to turn on calorie counting, put in your weight, add 20-30lb for your bag (since I’m sure you will carry your bag if you’re trying to burn some calories) and see how many calories you burn during a round of golf! If you are taking a cart…well…I guess you already gave up on your New Years resolution! :D

For me, a walk on Warrenbrook, with my bag burns about 725 calories!

Enjoy!

Comments
Harvey Specter
Posted at 5:17 pm January 3, 2007
Cal
Author

Don’t know where you keep coming up with these little gems from, but they’re good!

Sandringham Golf Course (with electric buggy) where I’ll be playing this Sunday. (the weight will be coming down ok… :) )

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:33 pm July 17, 2007
Andy
Author

Miami Whitewater Forest Golf Course.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 2:35 pm July 17, 2007
Andy
Author

So I forgot the link…haha. Here it is:

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:33 pm November 6, 2007
Mike Pedersen Golf
Author

So just think if more golfers walked instead of carting? There would a lot more thin golfers playing golf right :) Sean, head on over to my blog and take part ;)

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:41 am August 15, 2008
Golfer Ben
Author

Walking with Cart at Edinburgh USA in Brooklyn Park, MN

Almost 6 miles and over 1000 calories burned for this 205lb + 20lbs for the bag carried.

Harvey Specter
Posted at 7:55 pm August 21, 2008
Eric
Author

the number of calories burned is actually higher because you r only counting the calories burned if you grabbed a bag and walked the your 18. It is not factoring in the eneregy of making swings and all the other things that make a round of golf take 3-4 hrs. and not the 1-1.5 it would take to just walk th course

Harvey Specter
Posted at 6:55 am August 25, 2008
Sean
Author

Eric,

I am not sure, I was wondering if it was actually a little ‘less’. Since you are not walking non-stop, you are giving your heart a chance to rest every 100-300 yards. So your heart rate should be low quite often during those 4 hours of play.

Thoughts on that?

-Sean

Harvey Specter
Posted at 4:36 am April 1, 2009
Hidde
Author

@Sean

Good point but I think your hardrate goes up again when you hit a shot. It should compensate…

Hidde

Harvey Specter
Posted at 11:48 am June 13, 2011
Travis
Author

Golf is like a walking version of interval training. You are constantly walking with weight on your back, stopping to hit a shot, picking it back up, and doing it all over again for about an hour and half.

Comments are closed.